1. Mushrooming of sports infrastructure and facilities beyond cricket and hockey extending to boxing, shooting, badminton, tennis, golf, football and swimming.
With Indian families, the government and private institutions, all supporting and encouraging an active outdoor lifestyle, the number of youngsters today actively participating in sports and willing to pursue it as a full time career, is definitely on the rise.
2. Indian Corporates are willing to back a wide variety of sports beyond Cricket as part of their CSR efforts
The Indian Public Sector (ONGC, SAIL, PNB & GAIL) has traditionally supported Indian Sports. Over the last decade, Indian Business Houses such as the TATAs, Mahindras, Bennett and Coleman, Jindals, and Dabur, have also eagerly come forward to encourage and develop sports in India. Over the last few years, new corporates such as Micromax, DLF, Hero and Reliance have also come forward to lend their active support
3. The Indian Government’s growing support to sports as an active component of the socio economic development of India.
As an indicator, the 11th Five Year Plan (2007-12) allocated close to INR 46, 360 Crores to the development of Sports in India. A large part of this money is being spent on developing infrastructure, facilities, awareness and interest at the grass root level
4. Broadcasters are today actively testing new and alternate boundaries (having tested commercial possibilities) resulting in exciting platforms.
Platforms such as Indian Premier League (IPL), Indian Football Super League (ISL), Indian Badminton League (IBL), International Premier Tennis League (IPTL) and the Pro Kabaddi League (IKL) are clearly here to stay. Over the last few years, the financial viability of these platforms has been tested and experimented with, and new age commercial models are emerging that are today breeding wonderful possibilities as well as deep commercial sense.
5. Changing audience demographics, engagement platforms and new fan base
In addition, the audience mix is changing, rural markets are seeing deeper penetration and a changing audience base, fan and community outreach programs are beginning to prove effective as a method of deeper engagement with the audience and sports is today gathering a 24 hour following / viewing.